K. Vrinda Acharya
Vrinda has been recognised as one of the best Karnatic vocalists of the younger generation. Emphasis on bhava and clarity of sahitya, adherence to classical authenticity, eye for intricate nuances, wide repertoire and enthusiastic rendering of kritis are her special attributes which, coupled with a rich mellifluous voice, have groomed her into a proficient performer representing a purely classical school of music.
Vrinda, undergoing training in Karnatic Vocal Music for the past 17-18 years, is presently under the tutelage of Sangeetha Kalarathna Karnataka Kalashri Vid. NEELA RAMGOPAL and is also receiving guidance from her husband Mridangam Maestro Vid. ARJUN KUMAR.
Some of her laurels include
- ‘BEST VOCALIST’ and ‘ANANYA PRATIBHA PRASHASTI’ by Sri Nadajyothi Thyagaraja Swami Bhajana Sabha and Ananya, Malleshwaram for the year 2004.
- ‘BEST YOUTH ARTIST’ by Sri Rama Seva Mandali, Chamarajpet for the year 2000.
- ‘ARYABHATA AWARD’ for the year 2005.
- ‘BEST VOCALIST’ and ‘SMT.D.N.PARVATHAMMA MEMORIAL AWARD’ in the ‘NADAKISHOROTSAVA – Youth Music Festival’ conducted by Nadabrahma Sangeetha Sabha, Mysore for the year 2008
- ‘PRATIBHA PURASKARA’ by Sri Vivekananda Kala Kendra.
- ‘BEST ALL ROUNDER’ from Jain Group of Educational Institutions, Bangalore.
Vrinda has been giving concerts at prestigious sabhas, institutions and youth music festivals, prominent among them being Bangalore Gayana Samaja, Karnataka Ganakala Parishat, Ananya-GML Cultural Academy, Ganabharathi (Mysore), Shruti Manjari Pratishtana(Mysore), Nugambakkam Cultural Academy (Chennai), Sri Rama Seva Mandali, Devagiri Sangeetha Sabha, Sri Thyagaraja Gana Sabha, Malleshwaram Sangeetha Sabha, Seshadripuram Ramotsava Samithi, Mudhra(Chennai), Brahma Gana Sabha (Chennai), Sri Guruvayurappan Bhajan Samaj Trust and at several other places in Chennai, Mysore, Tirupathi, Gulbarga, Kolar, Goa, Udupi, Shimoga, Shringeri, Mantralaya, Madikeri and Ananthpur.
Radio & Television
Vrinda is a graded artist of All India Radio, Bangalore. She has given several programmes on television channels including Doordarshan (Chandana), Udaya TV and Suvarna TV.
Scholarships & Examinations
She is a recipient of Central Scholarship from the Department of Culture, Government of India and State Scholarship from Karnataka Sangeetha Nritya Academy. She has also secured 2nd Rank in the Vidwat Music Examination conducted by Karnataka Secondary Education Board.
- “Vrinda’s composed pace added to the melody of her singing….Good planning and good execution stood out” – Indian Express, April 27, 2004
- “…ವೃ॒೦ದಾ ಆಚಾರ್ಯ ರ೦ಜನೀಯ ಶೈಲಿಯ ಗಾಯನ ಸಾಮರ್ಥ್ಯವನ್ನು ರೂಢಿಸಿಕೊ೦ಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ….ರಾಗಗಳ ವಿಸ್ತೃತ ಆಲಾಪನೆ ಹಾಗು ಸುಶ್ರಾವ್ಯ ಹಾಡಿಕೆ ಕುಮಾರಿಯ ಪ್ರತಿಭೆಗೆ ಉತ್ತಮ ನಿದರ್ಶನ…” – ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಭ, ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ ೩, ೨೦೦೪
- “Vrinda has a good voice and sings with confidence. She presented a number of good compositions with good feeling” – Deccan Herald, May 29, 2006
- “…. ವಯಸ್ಸಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಕಿರಿಯರಾದರೂ ವಿದ್ಯೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ರತಿಭಾವ೦ತೆ…. ವೃ೦ದಾ ಆಚಾರ್ಯ ಹಸನಾದ ರಾಗಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಜನಪ್ರಿಯ ಕೃತಿಗಳನ್ನು ಹಾಡುತ್ತಾ ಕೇಳುಗರ ಗಮನ ಹಿಡಿದಿಟ್ಟುಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತಾ ಕಛೇರಿ ಬೆಳಸಿದರು…. ಯಾವ ಆಟಾಟೋಪಗಳಿಲ್ಲದ ಒ೦ದು ಸಾ೦ಪ್ರದಾಯಿಕ ಗಾಯನ…” – ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿ, ಜೂನ್ ೧, ೨೦೦೬
- “….the young artiste exhibited remarkable adaptability and versatility….she created a bright melodic experience….she expanded Varali dexterously maneuvering through intricate, but melodic sancharas with strict adherence to shruti. Clear accents, distinct pauses, meaningful neraval and decorative swaraprastara rendered her recital comprehendible, meaningful and pleasing.” – The Hindu, June 27, 2008
- “…Her melodious voice retaining its timbre irrespective of the octaves. Her approach to ragas and the kritis, clear diction, proper accents and apt gamakas held the audience under sway…. necessary pauses and tuneful nilugades complemented the import of the composition; and the sense of shruthi enhanced the melody.” – The Hindu, April 10, 2009
Vrinda has to her credit four CDs;
- ‘Sri Hayavadana’ exclusively featuring rare kritis of Sri Vadiraja Swamiji
- ‘Sri Vadiraja Suprabhatam’
- ‘Vande Vasudevam’-A Collection of Stotras
- ‘Swara Koumudee’-Carnatic Classical Melodies
Her evocative renderings in these have won her good acclaim from connoisseurs and rasikas alike. She is also working on releasing other CDs featuring not so popular compositions of great saint composers.
She has won several prizes in music competitions conducted by prestigious institutions including the National level Karnatic Music competition conducted by Raga Dhana, Udupi, State level Classical Music competition conducted by Sangeetha Bharathi Trust, Kundapur (with Gold Medal), State level Classical Music competition conducted by IndianInstitute of Music and Arts, Pallavi singing competition conducted by Bangalore Gayana Samaja, Malleshwaram Sangeetha Sabha and so on.
Besides music, she has consistently shown her brilliance in academics, culminating in a Post-Graduation in Commerce(M.Com) with I Rank, Bangalore University (Gold Medallist). After many successful years of imparting education in management, finance and corporate laws as a whole time faculty with the School of Graduate Studies, Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College and National School of Business, Vrinda decided to dedicate her time and efforts exclusively to Karnatic Music. She is also a Post- Graduate (M.A) in Sanskrit and is gearing up towards a Ph.D. She has also been training several students in music.
Vrinda’s natural talent coupled with her dedication to Karnatic music makes her a promising vocalist with a lot to look out for in the times to come.
Audio: Taye Tripura Sundari
Audio: Narayana Narayana
19/2, Vishwas Apartments, 5th main, Malleshwaram,
Bangalore – 560 003
firstname.lastname@example.org, 080-23368635, 98450 95120