Kumari Shreya Kolathaya
Shreya kolathaya is the 1st daughter of Shrikanth Kola
Shreya Kolathaya is the 1st daughter of Shrikanth Kolathaya and Shobha Kolathaya and was born on 4/09/1992.
Coming from a family, whose love for music can be traced to her great grandmother late Kaveriamma who was passionate about playing violin in Harikatha programmes. Grandfather Sri N.Subramanyam Kolathaya has been in the forefront of cultural activities in Puttur organizing a number of classical music concerts of renowned artists as well as encouraging budding talents. He would go any length to attend concerts apart from being adept in playing Mrindangam.
Shreya was initiated into the world of music by her grandmother Smt.Jayalakshmi Kolathaya with Bhakthigeetha.
Probably her winning the prize in local’ Ganeshotsava Bhakthigeeta’ competition in the very first attempt prompted her mother Shobha Kolathaya into making her learn basics about classical music from Ganacharya Kanchana Narayana Bhat.
She has been winning the top prize in Bhakthigeeta, Bhavageetha, Folkmusic & Classical music from her age of 8 years on a regular basis.
Some noted ones are as follows-
- 1st prize in ‘Sarvajanika Ganeshotsava’ in Bhakthigeetha for a consecutive 6 years.
- 1st prize in Taluk level ‘Bhavageetha’ competition conducted by various organizations.
- 1st prize in ‘Sugama Sangeetha’ category organized by ‘Madhusudan.D.Kushe’ in 2004 covering 3 districts.
- 1st prize in ‘Sugama Sangeetha’ in the District level competition conducted by ‘Ragatharanga’ in 2005, 2nd in2006, 3rd in ‘Classical Music’ in 2005 and 2006.
- 1st prize in ‘Bhajan’ competition at Sharada Vidyalaya in2006 in a District level competition.
- Regularly won prizes in ‘Prathibha Karanji’ conducted by Education Department since 2004. Winning 3 First prizes including Bhavageetha and Classical Music at Taluk level, she was 1st at District level in Bhavageetha. She went on to represent the District at the State level Prathibha Karanji held at Gulbarga.
The turning point came in the year 2006, when she happened to attend a concert by famed vocalist Vidwan T.M. Krishna, Chennai. Focusing her efforts in Classical Music ever since, she has participated in various competitions throughout the districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi.
- She was awarded Consolation prize at a National level Classical Music competition organized by Ragadhana at Udupi.
- She was picked as a ‘Talented Artiste’ in ‘Prathibhanveshana Shibira’ organized by Manikrishnaswami Academy in 2007 and was a ‘Finalist’ in a Classical Music Competition jointly conducted by Bharathiya Vidyabhavan and Mani Krishnaswamy Academy in 2008.
Some of the notable awards bestowed on her are :
- ‘Suvarna Prathibhe’ in Prathibha Karanji-2006.
- ‘Prathibhadeepa Puraskara’ by Suddi Bidugade in 2006.
- ‘Best Young Artiste’ award, a ‘Sulochana Ballal Memorial Award’ from Sangeeta Prishath, Mangalore in 2007.
- ‘Chiguru Prathibhe’ by Shivalli Sampada in 2006.
Completing her Junior Grade in Carnatic Vocal music with distinction, she is continuing her senior music lessons with Ganacharya Vidwan Kanchana Narayana Bhat.
Shreya has been regularly attending camps conducted by famed artists such as Dr. R.N.Shrilatha, Mysore Nagamani Srinath, Violin Vidwan Vittal Ramamurthy and Prarthana Sai Narasimhan to hone her skills.
She is a good listener of music, usually never missing any concert. Her other hobbies are Drawing in which she has 1st class in Grade exam, Knitting and Mehendi.
She has secured Distinction in S.S.L.C and presently studying 1st P.U at Vivekananda P.U College, Puttur.
Her goal is to pursue her interest in Classical Music. In the Monthly magazine ‘Ragadhanashri’, noted music critic Shri A.Ishwarayya made a mention of Shreya Kolathaya as a ‘Promising Young Artiste’.
Address: Shreya Kolathaya
c/o Kaveri RefrigerationMain Road,
Puttur, D.K. 574201