Shri Bannanje Govindacharya
Vidya Vachaspati Bannanje Govindachrya is one of the experts on the Madhva Tathwa Shastras and Madhva philosophy. He is best known for his pravachanas all over the world. He is the author of numerous translations and commentaries of the Vedic texts- both in Sanskrit and Kannada. His literary achievements also include his translation and commentaries of the complete texts of Shri Madhwacharya.
He born in a well cultured family in 1936, hails from Bannanje locality of Udupi, Karnataka. He started his study of the vedic texts and scriptures under his father “Tarkakesari S. Narayanacharya”, His Holiness Shri Vidyamanya Tirtha Swamiji of Palimaru Matha and late Shri Vidyasamudra Tirtha Swamiji of Kaneyur matha, Udupi.
Shriyutha has many contributions to Vedic literatures. He has authored numerous commentaries, translations and original works on the subject. He has also contributed hundreds of articles in magazines and journals.
A Birds Eye View on his Great works:
The major work includes the
“Works of Madhwa” – This is the reconstruction of the complete commentary on Madhwa’s works by Shri Hrishikesha Tirtha, a direct disciple of Shri Madhwacharya of the 13th CE. He also translated many historical Sanskrit books, which include:
“Bana Bhattana kadambari” – A translation of Bana Bhatta’s novel, Kalidasa’s “Shakuntala”, Shudraka’s “Mrichakatika” and lot more.
He also wrote some short commentaries on some krithis in Sanskrit, “Anandamala” of Shri Thrivikramarya dasa, “Vayu Stuti” of Shri Trivikrama Pandita, “Vishnu Stuti” of Shri Trivikrama Pandita, A philosophical dialectic in Sanskrit, short commentaries for six upanishads with Commentaries of Trivikramarya Dasa, etc.
Some of the Detailed commentaries in Sanskrit include “Teeka(critique) on Mahabharata Tatparya” (yamaka bharatha) by Shri Madhwacharya, “Teeka on Shri Sumadhwavijaya” of Narayana Pandita, “Tippani on Bhagavata tatparya” by shri Madhwacharya.
As he is a very good scholor in both Kannada and Sanskrit, he translated many literatures from Sanskrit to Kannada, Some are, “Srimad Bhagavad Gita”, “Purusha sukta”, “Shri sukta” “Shiva stuti”, “Narashimha stuti” “Krishnamritamaharnava” , “Tantra Sara Sangraha” and “Madhwa Ramayana” of Shri Madhwacharya, “Mangalashtaka” of Shri Rajarajeshwara yati “Yajneeya mantropanishat (Ishavasya)” Recreation in Kannada is simple and easy to understand for all the Kannadigas.
He contributed a lot to the Indian Film Industry, by being strong resource and as the expert consultant for G V Iyer’s movies – Adi Shankaracharya, Shri Madhwacharya, Sri Ramanujacharya and the Bhagawad Geeta. He also wrote the scripts for the Adi Shankaracharya and Madhwacharya movies.
Shriyutha has honored with numerous awards and various titles.
Mainly, the “Vidya Vachaspati” – by Shri Admar Mutt swamiji, Udupi.
Some of the notable are:
* The state award by the Government of Karnataka for his meritorious service and scholarship in Vedic iterature and philosophy.
* Pratibhambudhi – conferred on him by Puttige Mutt and Palimar Mutt swamijis
* Shastra savyasachi – Conferred by Akhila Bharata Madhwa Maha Mandala, Bengalooru
* Shri Krishanugraha Prashasthi – an award presented by Pejavara Mutt swamiji
* Sahitya sarvabhouma – saraswata maha vishwa vidyalaya, Bengalooru
* Samshodhana Vichakshana : by shri admar & shri palimar mutt
* Pandita shiromani – by Pratibha Ranga, Shivamogga
* Andita Ratna : by Dwarakanath swamji of Partagali Gokarna Mutt
* Vidya Ratnakara – title conferred by Shri Palimar Mutt swamiji
* Fellowship for the meritorious service and scholarship in Indian religion and philosophy – by the Academy of General Education, Manipal. And lot more.
The list is just a birds eye view, he contributed much more, and he also honored by many people. Lots of people considers him as “Guru”, and follow him as disciple.Even today he travels all around the world giving discourses in Indian philosophy and Hindu scriptures. We feel proud and blessed enough to have him in our community.
Edited by – Mahesha Eliadka
Source : Wikipedia